A new media tool is being piloted in Canvas during the Fall '18 and Spring '19 semesters. Read more about Arc below. If you would like to include one of your courses in the pilot, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will enable the tool in your course or sandbox.
What is Arc?
Arc is a media tool that allows students and instructors to upload, create, edit, manage, share and discuss audio and video files. Existing files can be used or new ones can be created with Arc's capture and editing tools.
How is Arc used in a course?
Arc media files can be embedded in any course content. This includes modules, assignments, pages, quiz questions, announcements and other course items.
Students can submit audio and video files to assignments and discussions.
What features does Arc have?
- Video recordings can be created with screen capture, webcam or both
- Users can upload existing video files to their Arc library.
- Arc has a robust set of tools for adding captions. Captions can be added in multiple languages.
- Arc supports many video and audio file formats and can be used with YouTube files as well.
- Users can make comments at specific points in a media file's timeline.
- Files can be tagged with keywords.
- Files can be shared with courses, specific users, or publically.
- File owners can view analytics that show who is watching and listening to files and if they are watching the entire file or skipping around.
- Student submissions of Arc media files can be viewed and graded in the SpeedGrader.
- Arc is compatible with mobile devices for both recording and viewing Arc media.
How do I learn more about using Arc?
- View Canvas's Arc user guides - https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/arc-guide
- Participate in our Fall '18 / Spring '19 pilot. Send an email request to email@example.com and we will enable the tool in your course.
- Check our Training Calendar for upcoming demonstrations of Arc.
Editing Your Screen Capture Videos
Canvas has parternered with the Screen-Cast-O-Matic company to provide a set of editing tools that can be used in Arc to edit videos that you have created using Arc's screen capture tool. The links below point to Screen-Cast-O-Matic's How-to videos on YouTube.
Here's the link to the main channel - Editing tool with Screencast-O-Matic - YouTube - and below are links to videos on how to use the different individual tools.