Canvas LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) Apps
LTIs are integrations with external tools that expand Canvas’s capabilities. For example, many textbook publishers now have integrations that offer e-chapters or supplemental online quizzes. To see what LTI's are currently installed on Emory's Canvas installation for your use, click here.
How Do I request an installation of an LTI?
LTI requests should be made at least 4 months in advance of expected initial use. The reasons for a longer lead time vary widely, however the largest section of testing is dedicated to the security of the application and the secure transfer of student data. Listed below are example deadlines for request expected the following semester. These may vary considerably depending on the complexity of the request.
- For use within Canvas by the fall semester, the deadline is April 1st before the desired fall semester.
- For use within Canvas by the spring semester, the deadline is September 1st before the desired spring semester.
Faculty interested in utilizing a new LTI installation will need to complete a request form and be prepared to participate in testing during the LTI Review Process.
What is the LTI Review Process?
Once a request is submitted, it is reviewed by Instructional Technology and Canvas System Administration staff.
The review process includes, but is not limited to:
- Discussing expectations with faculty to determine if the product requires Canvas authentication and course enrollment feeds. Due to the use of student data (subject to FERPA regulations) in some LTIs, the review process may take considerably longer than estimated.
- Considering any products or features that already exist within Emory's instructional systems.
- Verifying the LTI technical viability within Canvas and/or vendor integration specialists.
- Quality assurance testing (with requesters) to check for compatibility and reliability.
- Determining what the support structure is for the LTI after it is installed.
If you are interested in utilizing a LTI that is not already installed, please complete the request form by the appropriate deadline. To request a Canvas LTI: