Canvas is here!
Emory University has chosen Canvas as its new Learning Management System (LMS ). After a two-semester pilot of Canvas, a survey of participating faculty showed a strong preference for Canvas over Blackboard. Faculty cited its ease of use, intuitive design, and other features as primary reasons for preferring Canvas .
Canvas will replace Blackboard completely by Fall 2017. The Teaching & Learning Technologies team has planned a 16-month transition timeline to help guide faculty in moving from Blackboard to Canvas, detailed below. On the left-hand menu of this page, you will find information about the pilot program, transition planning, and resources for preparing to move your courses. Throughout the rest of this site, you will find details about the Canvas LMS, training opportunities, FAQs , news, and updates to keep you prepared and informed throughout the process.
Our goal is to make your transition go smoothly, and to provide you with all the resources you need to successfully move to Canvas.
- Summer 2016 is focused on production-readiness. This is our time to continue to work with our pilot faculty while preparing the Canvas environment and training resources for open use in the fall.
- Fall 2016 is the time to get trained. TLT will provide a variety of training resources, both online and in-person, to ensure that our faculty are confident and excited about our collective success in Canvas. Faculty will have the option to use either Canvas or Blackboard during this time.
- Spring 2017 is the time to move or plan to move. TLT will continue to provide training and transition assistance during this time. Faculty will have the option to use either Canvas or Blackboard during this time.
- Summer 2017 is the time to prepare for fall. Blackboard will be available during the summer as a transition repository, but there should be minimal production use of the system as we prepare it for decommision.
- Sept. 1, 2017. Blackboard licensing ends, and Canvas is the sole production learning management system.