The Assignments tool plays three important roles in Canvas:
- It contains assignments with optional due dates, specific assignees, and online submission of documents;
- It contains other graded student work in Canvas - graded quizzes and graded discussions;
- It determines what columns and assignment groups appear in the Grades tool.
Assignments can be created in the Assignments tool, but assignment "shells" can also be created from the Calendar and from the Modules page for quick content creation.
Assignments can be designated paper submission or graded without submission to create columns. Assignment Groups can be given percentages for weighted grading or rules to drop low or high grades.
- Guide: What are Assignments for instructors?
- Guide: What is a peer review Assignment?
- Guide: How do I create an Assignment shell in an Assignment Group?
- Guide: How do I create rules for an Assignment Group?
- Guide: How to publish an Assignment.
Quizzes (and Surveys)
The quiz tool is used to create and administer online quizzes, exams, and surveys, both graded and ungraded.
Questions types include: (1) Multiple Choice, (2) True/False, (3) Fill in the Blank, (4) Fill in Multiple Blanks, (5) Multiple Answer, (6) Multiple Dropdowns, (7) Matching, (8) Numerical Answer, (9) Formula Question, (10) Essay Question, (11) File Upload, (12) Text (no question). The next item in this module is a quiz illustrating the question types.
Features include: quiz banks for randomization, item analysis, moderation of quizzes to allow attempt, availability, and time limit exemptions, and anonymous surveys.
- Guide: What options are available for Quizzes?
- Guide: How do I create a Survey in my course?
- Guide: How do I use the Moderate Quiz page?
- Guide: What kinds of quiz statistics are available?
- Guide: How to publish a Quiz.