When recording with Studio, keep recordings to 10 minutes or less. Zoom is the better tool for recording long format lectures. More details here: Remote Teaching with Video.
Following a successful pilot of the Arc media management tool in Canvas, the tool has now been added to Canvas for all courses. (Note: The name of the tool has been switched from 'Arc' to 'Canvas Studio'.)
What is Canvas Studio?
Canvas Studio is a media tool that allows students and instructors to upload, create, edit, manage, share and discuss audio and video files. Existing files can be used or new ones can be created with Studio's capture and editing tools.
Canvas Guide: What is Canvas Studio?
How is Canvas Studio used in a course?
Canvas Studio media files can be embedded in any course content. This includes modules, assignments, pages, quiz questions, announcements, and other course items.
Students can submit audio and video files to assignments and discussions.
Canvas Guide: How do I use Canvas Studio?
What features does Canvas Studio have?
- Video recordings can be created with screen capture, webcam or both
- Users can upload existing video files to their studio library.
- Studio has a robust set of tools for adding captions. Captions can be added in multiple languages.
- Studio supports many video and audio file formats and can be used with YouTube files as well.
- Users can make comments at specific points in a media file's timeline.
- Files can be tagged with keywords.
- Files can be shared with courses, specific users, or publically.
- File owners can view analytics that shows who is watching and listening to files and if they are watching the entire file or skipping around.
- Student submissions of Studio media files can be viewed and graded in the SpeedGrader.
- Studio is compatible with mobile devices for both recording and viewing Studio media.
- Studio has a Quiz tool that allows you to insert questions into your video. The quizzes can be graded items that push grades directly into the Canvas Grade Center.
How do I create a Canvas Studio video quiz in a course?
How do I learn more about using Canvas Studio?
- View Canvas's Studio user guides -
- Check our Training Calendar for upcoming demonstrations of Studio.
- Make an appointment with one of TLT's educational analysts for hands-on training for individuals or groups https://links.emory.edu/canvasappointments
Editing Your Screen Capture Videos
Canvas has partnered with the Screen-Cast-O-Matic company to provide a set of editing tools that can be used in Studio to edit videos that you have created using Studio's screen capture tool. The links below point to Screen-Cast-O-Matic's How-to videos on YouTube.
Here's the link to the main channel - Editing tool with Screencast-O-Matic - YouTube - and below are links to videos on how to use the different individual tools.